3rd XI Match Report v Wapping 8 – 31/10

Upminster 3s were again left frustrated as another slow start cost them dear in their bottom of the table clash against Wapping 8s in East London on Saturday.  As has been the case on several occasions this season, a stirring fightback was not enough to stave off defeat despite the side once again showing great spirit to get back into the game.

Upminster fielded a much changed line up due to injury and illness and before they could familiarise themselves with one another they were a goal down as Wapping worked their way forward to open the scoring with a somewhat soft goal. It was two not long after as a short corner wasn’t cleared and the home side worked a shooting opportunity before firing home, and things didn’t get better after 15 minutes as a well judged through ball found the Wapping attacker who finished well past keeper John Daltrey. At that stage Upminster could have folded but they gradually got back into the game.  Louis Pickering and John Newby combined to set up Steve Wright who fired wide and the visitors continued to build the pressure as they forced two short corners but couldn’t convert either.  However, Martin Nutt’s side went into the break four goals behind as they failed to clear their lines after breaking down a Wapping attack and a fine finish gave the home side an advantage that somewhat flattered them.

Whatever captain Nutt and assistant Tom Hilson said at the break it clearly did the trick as Upminster came out of the blocks quickly at the start of the second period. Wright, Newby and Pickering all combined well to set up Aiden Hewitt who produced a tidy finish to narrow the gap.  The game then became an excellent encounter as both sides piled forward and created chances. Daltrey made a fine stop to deny the home side before Upminster failed to capitalise on two short corners, one being fired narrowly wide and one leading to a fine save from the home keeper. Newby was having a fine game for the visitors and he crowned that display ten minutes from time when he bundled home a second for Upminster and the bottom of the side showed huge fight and spirit as they continued to pile forward to try and rescue something from the game.  It was all to no avail though as their slow start had once again cost them the chance of taking their first points of the season, and they will now have to wait until Lockdown 2.0 is over before getting the chance to put things right.